Graveside services pending for Sandra Morgan, 70

  A well known Columbia native passed away Wednesday morning after a brief illness.

Graveside services for Sandra Lynn Morgan are incomplete at this time. Morgan died early Wednesday morning at the Oaks Nursing home. She was 70 years old.

Her death was not COVID-19 related.

Her official obituary reads in part:

Sandra Lynn Adams was born to the union of Robert “Lil Choochie” Adams and Alice Irene “Shug” DeGraffenried on September 11, 1949, in Monroe, La.

As a young child, she led the life of an “Army Brat” traveling with the family as her father, a U.S. Army soldier was transferred to various bases. She played in the snow and enjoyed the company of her siblings as she grew from a crawling toddler to a beautiful teenager.

All of her life, Sandra was challenged with frequent epileptic seizures that occurred at the most inopportune times, at school, at home, and in the general community. Often she would injure herself but would always recover. It was frustrating but did not stop her from leading a full, happy life, thanks to her family that surrounded her with love that increased as she became older.

She graduated from Union Central High School in Columbia in 1967. Shortly after graduation, she married Edgar “Sonny” Morgan, Sr. She bore two children for him: Connie Morgan, in 1968 and Edgar “Goo Goo” Morgan in 1969.

In Columbia, she united with St. Peter Baptist Church and was baptized by the late Rev. J.B. Brown. She attended church regularly, with ribbons and freshly pressed hair. When she moved to Monroe in later years, she united with the New Tabernacle Baptist Church where she attended regularly as her health allowed.

Sandra contented herself with artwork. She had an especially keen eye for crafts, and word puzzles. She completed hundreds of puzzles, craft books and paintings over the years.

She enjoyed family gatherings, birthday parties, Christmas and Thanksgiving. She kept photos of the events in her room and often stared at them frequently.

As her health began to fail, she was loved back to life by her daughter and siblings who traveled distances to share important moments with her to bring her cheer.

Her growing family made her happy and enjoyed looking at pictures of them as they grew.

Over the course of her life, she was physically challenged by constant seizures, strokes and varied health failures, but she always recovered with the help of her family. However, in March of 2020, she had a stroke, she went into a deep sleep and passed into glory.